Wednesday 19 September 2018

Digital Fluency Week 9

How the Digital Fluency Intensive has impacted on me

Involvement in the DFI means I now have a much clearer understanding of Manaiakalani kaupapa and
pedagogy, as well as how this fits into our school kaupapa and practice. I have learnt new digital skills,
especially with different Google apps, and had opportunity to connect the use of these tools to planned
learning opportunities for the students in my class. Having just inherited chromebooks for students
enabled me to immediately be able to put some of this learning into practice. This has been particularly
successful towards the end of the DFI as both the students and I have become more familiar with the
Chromebooks, and more fluent and confident in the use of some of the apps.
I did find the pace over the first couple of days quite fast. At that stage I felt I was developing
familiarity, rather than fluency. We then had a couple of days that moved at a much slower pace, and
I gained more confidence with apps. This was consolidated via use of some of these in my classroom
with my students.
The Learn, Create, Share pedagogy is now becoming a strong part of our school kaupapa, as we have
four teachers that have had professional learning input via DFI or the Pilot Teacher programme in
classrooms. Having that network of support at school is excellent. I have been able to share learning
and ideas with others back at school.
In addition, the network of teachers I have been working with as part of the DFI has had an impact
on my ongoing learning. The collaborative activities have been great, as has the blog sharing.


Particular impacts on my life, my practice, and my workflow

Google Keep is amazing! A must for every school leader! I use it for all sorts of things - professionally
and personally. I have shared it with a number of other people. I love the reminder/ notification part of
this app.
Setting up folders within Google Drive for my students to use right from the beginning was also helpful.
To start this properly at the beginning of the year, connected to Hapara and the Manaiakalani
Cyber-Smart Curriculum will be even better next year.

I feel like I still have so much to learn, so finding some way to keep the learning and network of
support going will be important. Any possibility of extra courses, or DFI Stage 2, would be great.
There is much benefit of getting together as a cohort to learn together and discuss what is working,
not working, problem solve, share ideas...

1 comment:

  1. Hi Joanne

    What great timing for you to inherit some Chromebooks! I'm so pleased that you are feeling more confident and that you found the Manaiakalani Digital Fluency Intensive so helpful. We will keep the learning connections alive through the Te Hiku Google + community so make sure you send through your ongoing blog posts there.

    When you get chance it would be lovely to see your profile picture on your blog and a little bit about you, plus links to your class site. I can help you with that sometime via a hangout if you'd like.

    ReplyDelete