Tuesday 18 September 2018

Digital Fluency Week 8


I was disappointed to not be able to be a part of the Digital Fluency Week 8 experience at Waitangi. Reading people’s blogposts, and looking at all the online resources posted by Kerry, and others re-iterated the fact that you all had an awesome day, with lots of learning and inspiration. I really enjoyed reading everyone’s posts. Not quite as good as being there… but you have all contributed to my ongoing DFI learning with what you have shared. Many, many thanks for your honest and in-depth reflections. Ongoing dialogue with colleagues, in any form, is a vital part of our professional growth. I loved the creativity you all shared. I must confess, my personal favourite was Robyn "in flight" - every school leader needs super powers! 😉

What I learnt that increased my understanding of Manaiakalani kaupapa and pedagogy?

Manaiakalani pedagogy related to empowerment fits well with the vision, principles and values of our New Zealand Curriculum. “The New Zealand Curriculum is a clear statement of what we deem important in education. It takes as its starting point a vision of our young people as lifelong learners who are confident and creative, connected, and actively involved. It includes a clear set of principles on which to base curriculum decision making. It sets out values that are to be encouraged, modelled, and explored. It defines five key competencies that are critical to sustained learning and effective participation in society and that underline the emphasis on lifelong learning” – NZC Foreword, 2010.

Manaiakalani are talking about student agency when they talk about empowerment. Manaiakali chose to use the word empowered instead of agency, or student agency, because it was a word that people outside of education, especially families and whanau, could relate to.
I need to find ways to further empower my students with their learning. Being aware of the disadvantages some students have is important, but it is more important for us to see the potential in all of our students and ensure that diversity within our classroom teaching and learning experiences provides authentic opportunities for students to excel. We do need to value what our students bring – often this is not recognised or understood. Valuing what our students bring, and then enabling them to access and be part of a vibrant and authentic curriculum is all about empowerment while they are at school, and then as they transition into being active participants in their local, and global communities.

How has my understanding of Manaiakalani kaupapa and pedagogy:

·        Empowered me professionally with my teaching practice?

With the creation and development of my blog, I have an ongoing dialogue that reflects on my growth in my professional development, with a particular emphasis on links to the digital world and the change in my teaching practice within a digital classroom. Having my blog accessible to others provides me with scope for an audience whose comments can contribute to my ongoing learning and development.
The skills I have been learning, or enhancing, over the last 8 weeks have strengthened aspects of my classroom teaching and learning programme. My own familiarity and fluency with different Google apps is growing, and will continue to grow. The level of professional dialogue with colleagues from other schools, has also supported my professional growth.

·        Empowered me with new skills to use with my learners?

I have been trying lots of new things with my students. Inheriting some Chromebooks from other classrooms in our school has enabled increased scope to do this. Most of my students have access to a device which functions well enough to meet our beginning needs. Students have been able to share their learning with whanau, as well as with our school community at assembly. They are very proud of their new skills, and the work they have produced. Their written response work to Malala’s Magic Pencil, which was our shared text during Social Justice Week, was completed in Google Draw. Students used a range of graphic skills, as well as the Explore tool to access images and borders, to enhance their poster presentations. Printed copies will be displayed in our school foyer, and will be shared via our school face book page. I am hoping to have a class blog operational next term to share our work with a wider audience.

·        Empowered me personally?

I have been able to share apps and skills with others in my school. This always has a “feel good” factor. To be an “expert” explaining something to a professional colleague is always empowering – especially when one is not of the “digital native” generation!
I am inspired to learn more, and to continue my learning journey – I just need more days and time to do this!

No comments:

Post a Comment